Sunday, October 11, 2009

Alumni Weekend

I was planning to go - really I was. I had anticipated going to Siena Heights for months. This was my 25th reunion and good friends I hadn't seen in ages were going.
I didn't have the final say, however, my health did. The week before the trip, I elected to stay home due to some medical tests. Something was wrong with my thyroid and at that point they didn't know what to expect and I didn't know what to expect.
The week of the reunion, I was given a diagnosis of Thyroiditis - which, according to my doctor, will turn into hypothyroidism. One symptom I struggle with is staying awake - I am exhausted driving the 13 miles between my house and town. It was thought best that I stay home.
But this isn't about that and it isn't about what I missed. I didn't miss a thing.
What this is about is three friends who made sure I was there - if not in person then by text.
We shared memories, laughs, advice and views. Not political views - actual views! You see, they sent me pictures of the places they went that they knew I would like to see. An Example? None of them wrote for the paper I so diligently edited. Yet, they sent me a picture of my old haunt.
I received a few 'Do you remember when' texts and I texted back I did and 'do you remember when' went back to them.
"We're going to Sunnyside" they sent me on Saturday evening. "Have a taco for me" I requested. And they did.
And, you know, I never felt like I was not there. I put on my ipod and listened to some music I listened to then - the Rolling Stones, Bruce, Journey. I was there.
I hope they want to go back and I hope soon. But if one of them can't? Well they will be there by text because that is what friends - what good friends, lifelong friends do.

No comments:

Post a Comment